A. THE COS HOUSE
This structure is believed to be one of the oldest in La Villita, predating 1835. General Perfecto de Cos reportedly signed the articles of capitulation for the Mexican Army here on December 9, 1835, after being defeated by the Texan Army.
Today it is often used for small wedding receptions or dinners. To discuss date availability or other details, call (210) 207 - 8610.
WalkingTour maps available throughout La Villita.
B. BOWEN / KIRCHNER HOUSE
This house appears on an 1873 map and was built either by San Antonio postmaster John Bowen, who bought the property in 1851 or by Auguste Kirchner, who bought it from Bowen in 1871. The original house is built of caliche block
Today it is Villita Stained
C. LOSANA HOUSE
Mariano Romano Losana was the original owner of this house. A succession of owners and businesses, including a chemical manufacturing company and restaurant, were among the tenants prior to the acquisition of the house by the City of San Antonio in 1939.
it is Lone Star Mercantile.
D. FLORIAN HOUSE
Constructed in 1854 at a cost of $660, the house is named for Erasmus Florian, a Polish immigrant. The original structure and rear addition reflect the dramatic change in building styles from the pre-Civil War to the late Victorian period.
Today it is River Art
E. FAVILLE HOUSE
Franklin D. Faville constructed this house about 1855. Typical of many mid-nineteenth century homes in San Antonio, the house has a gable running parallel to the front of the house
Today it is
Monte Wade Fine Arts.
F. THE DASHIELL HOUSE (CASA VILLITA)
Built in 1856 on land on the San Antonio River bought in 1849. The San Antonio Conservation Society has maintained offices at "Casa Villita" since 1942.
Today it is The San Antonio Conservation Society.
G. GRAY - GUILBEAU HOUSE
The house is named for James Gray and French consul Francois Guibeau who bought the house from Gray in 1853. The house saw many owners and changes before becoming a restaurant in 1970.
Today it is Fig Tree
H. THE OTTO BOMBACH HOUSE AND STORE
Built in 1856, the property has housed many businesses, most recently a restaurant named for "Little Rhein", the predominately German neighborhood adjacent to S. Alamo Street in the early 1900s.
Today it is Little Rhein Steak House
I. MCALLISTER HOUSE AND STORE
This land, bought by Samuel W. McAllister in 1854, was incorporated into La Villita in 1949. The store may have been built in two stages as the first story is of limestone and the second story of caliche block.
J. THE LITTLE CHURCH
The cornerstone was laid for the church on March 2, 1879. Several denominations have held services here. However, it is now an active non-denominational church and a favorite site for weddings.
Today it is The Little Church.
K. ST PHILIP'S COLLEGE
The college was begun in an adobe house just north of this building in 1898 but the present brick buildings date to the 1900s. The City of San Antonio acquired the group of buildings in 1945.
Today it is Starving Artist Art
The kitchen building was constructed during the National Youth Administration restoration in1939. The small building stands on King Phillip V Walk where the legendary Mrs. Womble's Boarding House once stood.
Today it is Casa Manos
M. JUAREZ PLAZA
Plaza Juarez was built during the National Youth Administration restoration of La Villita and was named for Mexican patriot Benito Juarez. The area had in earlier times been developed with small homes and businesses.
N. HERRERA HOUSE (THE SAN MARTIN HOUSE)
This house was owned by Rafael Herrera who bought the property in 1854, it is named for Don Jose de San Martin who fought for independence in South America.
it is Bonsai Arbor.
O. TEJEDA HOUSE (The Caxias House)
This house is one of the earliest houses in historical La Villita. Built by Jose and Refugia Duran Tejeda, it is also named for the Duke of Caxias, Brazil's most famous soldier in its fight for independence
Today it is Casa Clasal Copper Gallery.
P. HESSLER HOUSE (CANADA HOUSE)
Typical of 1870s construction, this house was built by Ernest Hessler. The construction is caliche-block with a gabled roof of standing seam metal.
Today it is
Q. GUADALUPE HOUSE
The house and the walkway leading to it take their present names from the shrine to the Virgin of Guadalupe which was constructed during the NYA era on the north side of the house. The floor tile was probably fired in the kiln behind the building during the early 1940s.
R. KILN AND WEAVING BUILDING
This building was used to house the arts and crafts programs which were integral to the La Villita restoration project. Clay pavers, plaques and other materials used were fired in the kiln. Classes were also taught here for many years.
it is Village Weavers.
S. BOLIVAR HALL
A twentieth century building in the style of frontier military posts of the late 1800s, it now houses the administrative offices of La Villita and a post office.
Today it is the administrative offices of La Villita and
T. ESQUIDA / DOWNS / DIETRICH HOUSE
Named for three of its owners, this house underwent numerous additions. Amazingly, this adobe structure was found in excellent condition inside the cinder block walls of the Joy Kist Candy Company's warehouse during renovations after Hemisfair'68
Today it is Little Studio
U. NEW YORK STAR CLEANING AND DYE WORKS
This structure replaced town small adobe houses. The New York Star Cleaning and Dye Works operated here until 1933 when the property was leased by the Joy Kist Candy Company.
Today it is Scentchips USA
V. DOSCH - RISCHE HOUSE
Ernest Dosch and Ulrich Rische, proprietors of the Deer Horn Saloon, built this house sometime in the early 1880s. Earlier building methods are reflected in the narrow interior doorway and thick walls.
Today it is Galleria
W. SHAFER HOUSE
This house was built by A.H. Shafer after he purchased the properly in 1888. It was advertised in the early 1900s as a "nicely furnished apartment with hot and cold running water, electric lights and gas"
Today it is Nueva St.Gallery.
X. 101 KING PHILIP V STREET
This house was built sometime before 1855 on Womble Alley. The interior of the house reveals caliche block walls and pine floors as well as beaded board ceiling and early wood mantle.
Today it is the home of Found
Y. CIRILUS GUISSI HOUSE
Formerly located in the HemisFair area, the 1890s frame house was dismantled and
reconstructed here in 1969 and forms the southwestern corner of Plaza Maverick.
La Villita Historic Arts
Downtown San Antonio, TX
South Alamo at Nueva or Riverwalk at the Arneson Theatre (Map to La Villita)
(Located between the Hilton Palacio del Rio and the Fairmont Hotel)
(210) 207-8614 email@example.com
Shops open daily 10 am - 6 pm.
Find us on Facebook.
LaVillita.com © 2011. All rights reserved.